Star Trek ComBadge – here comes a working bluetooth communicator badge!
Star Trek ComBadge
I was ten years old when I first watched Captain Picard tap a badge on his chest, and heard that now famous chirping sound. It was amazing, futuristic, and it looked so cool. Imagine, being able to talk to people without holding a phone? Even Captain Kirk had to have his communicator in his hand.
14 years later (!) and I will finally be able to own one. A ComBadge which chirps, and lets me talk to people, just like Captain Picard.
This isn’t a toy, it’s a real communications device. It will attach to your clothes with a magnetic clasp, and communicate with your phone using bluetooth. With a tap of the badge, you will be able to answer calls, make calls, and use your voice assistant (Google, Siri, Cortana). Everytime you tap the badge, you will be able to enjoy the chirp sound, which is the icing on the cake! The inbuilt speaker and microphone will allow you to talk to and hear your friends without taking the phone out of your pocket.
If you`ve ever seen a real resin combadge prop, you will probably agree with me that they are a little shabby and not especially dazzling up close. I was given one by a Hollywood prop specialist a few years ago, I love it, but you can tell it was never meant for close up inspection!
The Star Trek ComBadge will cost about $80 and should be ready for shipping in November. Unfortunately, at this time it appears that we won´t be able to get one sent to Europe. I hope you have a friend in America who could post you one!
Here are some specs from the ThinkGeek website:
- Star Trek TNG Bluetooth® ComBadge
- Officially-licensed Star Trek: The Next Generation merchandise
- Plays classic communicator chirp sound effect when you press it
- Connects to your phone or device via Bluetooth®
- Built-in microphone for hands-free calling
- High quality micro-speakers by Massive Audio
- Once connected, one touch answers/ends calls, plays/pauses audio, or accesses Siri, Google Now, or Cortana
- Play/pause music functionality
- Not, however, Majel Barrett
- Wireless Range: 33 ft.
- Drivers: Neodymium magnet
- Frequency Response: 200Hz – 20KHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio: >80dB
- Materials: ABS and zinc shell
- Attaches using magnets so you don’t have to make holes in your clothes
- Batteries: Rechargeable Lithium-ion (one charge lasts 10 hours)
- Charges via micro-USB cable (included)
- Auto shut off feature (when not connected to Bluetooth) after 30 minutes to preserve battery life
- Micro-USB Port: DC5V, 350-400mA
- Dimensions: 1.65″ wide x 2.08″ tall x 0.36″ deep
- Includes ComBadge and micro-USB charging cable
- Manufactured by FameTek